Sterling Truck Parts and Accessories
The Sterling Trucks Corporation, once headquartered in Redford, MI, started in 1952. However, the company was dissolved by White Motor Company a couple of years later. It was purchased by Daimler from the Ford Motor Company in 1997 and revived. In 2008, Daimler discontinued Sterling for the sake of money-saving restructuring.
Its last trucks were made in 2009 and its final plant was closed in 2010. It appears Sterling was a smaller part of Daimler Trucks. Unlike fellow Daimler subsidiaries Freightliner and Western Star, which cater to a vast global market, Sterling only sold trucks in the North America, Australia and New Zealand. Just before it was retired, Sterling’s lineup consisted of only four lines of trucks.
The Set-Back A-Line, like the currently made Western Star Highway and Freightliner Cascadia trucks, was made for regional hauling and therefore came in day cab and sleeper form. The Set-Back L-Line, whose form continues with the production of the Western Star Vocational, Freightliner Coronado and Freightliner M2 112 trucks, was created for severe-duty tasks; notwithstanding, it was produced with lighter frames, allowing for easy movement.
The Acterra, which was much like the Freightliner M2 106, was the company’s medium-duty truck. The Set-Forward L-Line consisted of trucks that were like the currently made Western Star Vocational, Freightliner M2 106, Freightliner M2 106V and Freightliner M2 112V SFA trucks. Despite the folding up of Sterling, Daimler continues to provide services to its Sterling customers.
You can visit www.sterlingtrucks.com for more information.